Built awarded Duratec a remediation contract to provide design and construct building repair services to the heritage listed Old Treasury Building in Perth’s CBD.
The Old Treasury building is over 135 years old. The refurbishment by FJM Properties is part of the master plan to transform the Cathedral + Treasury precinct into a mix of hotel, hospitality and retail uses.
The works were performed under a design and construct contract with the brief to remediate and strengthen the balconies compliant with current Australian Standards Structural Design codes, State Heritage requirements and remain serviceable for a 100 year design life.
Duratec rejuvenated the external facade and balconies while sympathetically preserving the original balcony components in strict accordance to heritage requirements. This included corrosion mitigation of structural steelwork, upgrading of seismic capacity, replacement of balcony slabs and repairs to concrete elements and the application of a protective coating system.
- The project management team were in close consultation with different designers, structural engineers and heritage engineers.
- Duratec managed many subcontractors including demolition, fabrication, sandblasting, tilers and painters.
- The works involved detailed repairs to strict heritage requirements including developing moulds to replicate the ornate features.
- Duratec won 3 awards for this project: ACRA Award for Excellence 2014, City of Perth Heritage Award 2014 and Concrete Institute of Australia Award 2014.
- Facade Refurbishments
- Preservation of Heritage Structures