Duratec was engaged by SPA to complete concrete repairs to piles and replace an anchor block at Bunbury Port berths 1 and 2, in service since the 1960s.
In the mid 1980s four thrust blocks were constructed and tied into the rear of the retaining wall wharf deck along berth 1 to provide restraint to prevent the reinforced concrete piles from being overstressed under berthing loads. The scope of works included:
Pile reinforcement and concrete repairs
- Hydroblast of delaminated cover concrete and preparation of exposed steel.
- Installation of sacrificial anodes.
- Priming of concrete substrate and application of reinstatement mortar.
- Application of silane based seal coating system to remediated piles.
Anchor block construction
- Excavation to required reduced level for construction of anchor block.
- Compaction of crushed limestone to form base for retaining wall.
- Reinforcement installed and formwork setup prior to concrete pour.
Retaining wall construction
- Removal of existing thrust blocks.
- Installation of pre-cast concrete retaining walls.
- Installation of strut to connect anchor block to retaining wall and installation of mounting.
- Concrete pour of three hinge slabs.
- Duratec has been working on remediation projects for the Port of Bunbury since our inception in 2010, most notably the five year design and construct contract for the remediation of the outer harbour’s berth’s 1 and 2.
- Concrete Repair
- Pile Cleaning & Protection
- Specialist Civil Services