Decmil engaged the services of Duratec’s Karratha division to install a high performance flooring epoxy to Rio Tinto Iron Ore’s West Angelas deposit B workshop floor.
Over 1,100m² of flooring was prepared using a rotating head floor grinder. Prior to coatings application, cracks were repaired with an epoxy mortar.
The floor was then protected with two coats of a a high build, two pack epoxy system.
The coating was applied to Rio Tinto’s floor demarcation standards which involved accurate masking and the use of multiple colours to designate walkways, lay-down areas and safety zones.
To improve safety, a non-slip finish was installed on the floor by broadcasting fine aggregate into the coating system between coats.
- The workshop remained in operation during the works with small sections completed at any one time.
- Most of the coatings was applied by brush and roller to minimise overspray on adjacent steelwork.
- A crew of 4 performed the works with no safety incidents and to the client’s satisfaction.
- The coatings were applied under the watchful eye of one of Duratec’s NACE qualified inspectors.
- Flooring Systems
- High Performance Coatings